"Then Joshua turned back at that time, and captured Hazor and struck its king with the sword; for Hazor formerly was the head of all these kingdoms." - Joshua 11:10 (NASB)

During the summer of 1993 I spent six weeks in the small country of Israel. Five of those six weeks were spent digging in the dirt at Tel Hazor in Northern Galilee. This is my story.


Thursday, December 29, 2011

Saturday, June 26th | Tel Hazor 1993


11:03 AM
I woke up twice this morning before I got up. I woke up at 5:44 and I noticed that Mike was gone, and he was still gone when I woke up at 7:15. I finally woke up at 8:12, as Mike was returning from breakfast. He informed me that I had plenty of time to catch breakfast. I got ready, and got down to breakfast at approximately 8:30. They had just about everything for breakfast: cottage cheese with fruit, fruit, tomatoes, cucumbers, boiled eggs, cheese, olives, yogurt, bread, fish, etc. I didn’t eat everything, but what I did have was really good. At breakfast I sat and talked with Mark Schaffer, and Dr. Germano showed up at about 8:40. Breakfast was supposed to close at 8:45. It was a good, help yourself style, breakfast.

After breakfast I came back to the room, sat on the balcony overlooking Bethlehem, and read in my bible a little. I heard noises in the hall and looked out to see if it was any of our group, and I saw Mr. Stahl. He had just gotten up, and I invited him to come look off our balcony, because his room doesn’t look the same direction. He really liked the view. Mike has been sleeping since he came back from breakfast.

Daytime view from the room, looking toward Bethlehem.

A few of our group taking a Sabbath walk on the hotel grounds.

11:51 PM
I went and took a walk around the place and found the pool. I was surprised at how packed the pool was on the Sabbath. They even have a water slide here. Lunch seemed to be leftovers from last night’s dinner. After lunch we took a walk to the war memorial, which is 3 olive trees on top of three tall columns. After the walk, it was about time for church, so we had to get ready.

Church was held at 2:30 in the television room. We had one guest, Jonathon Rudder, who is from Dallas, and is traveling around the world. We all talked for quite a while after church, then we went to change for dinner.

After dinner, and after I watched the sunset, I changed $40 into 106.4 NIS (New Israeli Shekels). When the bus showed up (8:30) we went to Ben Yehuda street. Dr. Germano paid the bus fare for everyone. Ben Yehuda street is full of shops, and people. My only purchase was a Maccabee beer, it was also the only thing the Michael Whitmire bought. One exciting thing was when Michael asked an Israeli soldier if he could take a picture of him. The soldier said yes, and was more than happy too oblige. The soldier was from New York and had only moved to Israel 6 months ago. After I took Michael’s pictures with the soldier, the soldier let Michael hold his Uzi. I had my picture taken with the soldier, but I didn’t hold the Uzi. We all met together at 11:00 and rode the bus back to the hotel. Mike and I came back to the room and turned on the TV. The only thing on is Jordanian TV.



 -------------
Sadly I don't have more photos for this day. The photos with the soldier were taken with Michael's camera, and I don't have a copy to share.
It's good to be updating this again, hopefully it won't take so long before the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment