"Then Joshua turned back at that time, and captured Hazor and struck its king with the sword; for Hazor formerly was the head of all these kingdoms." - Joshua 11:10 (NASB)

During the summer of 1993 I spent six weeks in the small country of Israel. Five of those six weeks were spent digging in the dirt at Tel Hazor in Northern Galilee. This is my story.


Saturday, August 13, 2011

Thursday, June 24th | Tel Hazor 1993

Well, this is it, the official beginning of my journal and my trip to the Middle East. Keep in mind when reading my journal entries that I have noted the times that I actually did the writing. The entries are also very much written in first person.




12:30 PM
Well, we’re finally on our way. I didn’t get a whole lot of sleep last night, especially considering that I got up at 4:30 this morning. A few last things to pack away, and I was ready to start carrying stuff down to the fieldhouse. I made my first trip at about 5:00. Suitcases can get really heavy when you’re going up all the steps between the old men’s dorms and the fieldhouse. We actually got everyone on the bus, and we rolled off campus at approximately 6:05.

Our group ready to board the bus to head to Dallas. Can you tell that we are still half asleep at such an early hour? That's me on the far left side. (Apologies for the blurry image, what do you expect from a point & shoot camera in the low light of early morning?)

We hit Dallas right in the midst of rush hour traffic. We arrived at the airport and got to the terminal with no problem. Check in for our DFW to O’Hare leg of the trip was fairly quick. We had about an hour to waste before we could board the plane. I spent a little time looking in the gift shops, but not much. After boarding the plane, we had a delay of an hour, because they had to bleed the brake lines of some air. At last we took off and are on our way to Chicago/ Rome/ Tel Aviv. We were able to watch some CNN Headline News and some Wimbledon updates. We were served turkey sandwiches and “I can’t believe it’s yogurt.” They were both really good. I also had some Dr. Pepper.

Don Harms (from Colorado), Mark Schafer, and Julie Hales waiting on our flight at the airport.

Michael Whitmire, Shawn Wiese, and Robert Stahl at the airport.

Julie Hales, Renee Norman, Matthew Stocking, Julie Edgedus, and Mary Ann Baylosis (still at the airport).

10:35 PM (Chicago time) 5:35 AM (Rome time, 6/25/93)
Well, we’ve been in a 747 since 3 something, and I still haven’t slept a wink. Right now the sky out to the left of the plane is really beautiful with the sunrise and all. We must be over Europe by now. Our flight to Chicago arrived around 2:00, one hour behind. We quickly had to check through on Alitalia so as to make our flight. Shawn Wiese’s parents met us at the airport, and were able to help us find where we needed to go, since they had met the first group on Sunday, and the flights were the same.

We had to ride a bus from the terminal to the plane. This was a unique experience for me. Another new experience in flying for me was the headphones available on both flights. I had expected to have to pay for them, but on both planes they were free. On the current Alitalia flight, we have seen two movies: “Groundhog Day” and “Forever Young.” I have seen “Groundhog Day” twice now, but I have enjoyed it each time. Each movie was preceded by a cartoon. We were served a decent meal on this flight. I could have had beer or wine (it’s free on this flight), but I choose not to. I did share a bottle of wine with Julie Egedus, because she hadn’t tried it yet, and she didn’t really want the whole thing. It was pretty good wine, even though I personally don’t care for wine that much. In a couple of hours we’ll be in Rome, wow! A little different than Big Sandy, TX, I guess.



I referenced above "the first group".  This was a small group of four students that had been at the Hazor dig the previous year and were spending a few days at Rome to do some video work with Dr. Germano. We met up with them at the Rome airport. One member of that group was Shawn Wiese's sister, Sharon, hence why his (and her) parents met us at the airport in Chicago.


*With this post, and this blog in it's entirety, I am making every effort to be as accurate as possible, especially with regards to photo captions and additional information that I provide outside the contents of my journal. If there are any inaccuracies, I will gladly correct them when accurate information is provided to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment